Now is the time to call in and call on community. Strong communities are how people care for each other, solve problems, and resolve conflicts. It’s supporting one another through community that is our pathway to thriving.
The InvitationTake the time to gather as at least three people and have a conversation. As a group, complete the sentence: “Together, this community is important to us, because…“ Decide who community is for you — friends, the family you’ve chosen or the family you were born into, neighbors, coworkers, or people with shared interests or common goals. You might gather over a meal or around the fire, by phone, or taking a walk.
Don't have folks in mind whom you want to gather with?
Sign up here to join a virtual gathering on Thursday, November 15, 11am - 12:30pm PT // 2pm - 3:30pm ET.
Reflect on why this particular community is important to you. Focus on nurturing relationships and tending to mutual restoration.
Catch up with each other, and when possible, turn to joy.
It might also be helpful to think about what will help you feel fully present for whatever comes up — whether it’s love, humor, grief, trauma, or uncertainty.
As a way to get into your group’s response to “Together, this community is important to us because …”, you might choose to reflect together on any of the following questions:
- What motivates you to take the time to be together as a group in this moment?
- How do we show/express care and support for one another?
- What ingredient does each of us bring to the group’s special sauce?
Reflect Back“Reflect back” your experience to the Resonance Network, so we may weave our communities together and show each other we’re in this together. If you’d like a little extra one-on-one support to prepare or make sense of the time you spend in community, please reach out to Denisha Dixon.
- Gather. As a group, complete the sentence: “Together, this community is important to us, because…”
- Snap a photo
- Show that we’re in this together.
Gather together with friends, the family you’ve chosen or the family you were born into, neighbors, coworkers, or people with shared interests or common goals. It might be an existing community of folks you already gather with on a regular basis, or folks you haven’t spent time with in a while. This can also be an opportunity to practice having a conversation with folks who haven’t typically gathered together before, but who share a common purpose whether spoken or unspoken.
During your time together, complete the following sentence: “Together, this community is important to us, because…“
Visual, poetic, or other responses welcome. Some examples could be:
- Together, this community is important to us because …
- we keep each other safe and help each other heal.
- we are sisters, mothers, people trying to support each other.
- we grow, learn, and change together.
- we’re working to make our school a better place.
Snap a photo. Write out your group’s “Together, this community is important to us, because…“ phrase on a piece of paper (you can also use this printable PDF)— please write as legibly as possible. Take a photo — for example:
- take a photo of the phrase itself
- take a group selfie
- use separate photos of yourselves
- snap a pic of the meal you shared
- take a screenshot of your video-call
Show that we’re in this together. Post your photo(s) on social media — Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram — with the hashtag #feelresonance and tag the network using @feelresonance. In your post, say a bit about who gathered, then tag a friend whom you’d like to invite to take part in the call to community and include this link bit.ly/2OsCnNT so they can sign up to participate.